Google
 

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Proud to be Malaysian

Cheryl with flag she colored
The Govt asks us to fly the flag. The other day an advert in a daily proclaimed 'Proud to be Malaysia'.

I've been flying the flag each Merdeka for a very long time, even when I was in Prang Besar (now Putrajaya) (I believe I was the only one then).
Cheryl came back from school on 30 August 2006 and showed us the flag she had coloured in school and told us that her teacher said "you must take care of the flag and place in a nice place. Don't throw it on the floor".
I am pround to be Malaysian. But are we really treated as Malaysians? Just Malaysians without any reference to citizens of any other country.
How will Cheryl and Chastan be classified? Cheryl's concern is showing in her eyes.
If only this Govt and the UmnoPutras allow us be just Malaysians, not Malaysian Chinese or Malaysian Indian or Malaysian Malay ( do they have such a thing as Malaysian Malay? If not why not?)

No comments: